Monday, December 8, 2014

let's catch up!

Alright you guys, let's get right down to business. I've got a lot to catch you up on, starting with Thanksgiving! Wait, no, let's start before that. 

Let's begin with this fortune we got in a cookie at our favorite Chinese restaurant:


Nothing happened "on next Tuesday," but I'll keep you posted in case they meant another Tuesday in the future.

Thanksgiving weekend was very different for us this year. We're away from all of our family, but that didn't stop us from cooking as if everyone were coming over. I'm talking five dishes here...and it turns out, I CAN cook a turkey! (I had serious doubts about my ability.) Proof:

 Roasted maple pecan bacon butternut squash, mashed potatoes, apple-bacon stuffing, sauteed green beans with fresh garlic, and herb-roasted turkey--all made from scratch. HUZZAH.

 I can't slice meat to save my life, so Trav had to step in.
And, let's be honest--I just like looking at him.

Before that, we had a snack we'd never heard of--Thanksgiving-flavored potato chips. What?! Seriously awesome. Trav's parents sent them to us as a surprise for the day.

Wickedly delicious.

The rest of our weekend was spent exploring. There is a really cool park nearby with hiking trails and wilderness to explore. I've never been anywhere like it. It was great to be outside in such beautiful weather!
 
 Beautiful!
 Cactus is to Texas as azaleas are to Summerville--they're everywhere.
 I conquered this land and claimed it for all future posterity. Do you think they'll mind?
 (insert comment about how handsome my husband is, followed by his supreme embarrassment.)

I've learned a few more things lately, too. 
 
1. You all have dopplegangers in Texas. I can't tell you how many times I've turned and thought, "Oh look, it's Tara--wait, nope, she's 1200 miles away." "Is that Adam?!? Oh wait, no. Impossible." It's a daily disappointment, quite frankly. I've also found the ethnically-diferent versions of a lot of you, as well. 
2. Did I mention I can cook a turkey? This deserves celebration.
3. I LOVE STREET TACOS AND ROASTED CORN. Trav and I agreed that the street corn we had was probably the single best thing we've eaten here so far. If you're ever in San Antonio, go to La Gloria. Then send me a gift certificate in appreciation for the awesomeness you experience. And you get to see these:



4. Christmas is even cozier in a small apartment.
 

 
5. Bingley just gets cuter and cuter.

Meowy Christmas, everybody!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment